Aggressive Defense Against A Broad Range Of Drug Offenses
As the war on drugs continues, both state and federal government agencies continue to devote substantial resources to stopping illegal drug activity. As a deterrent, the charges for drug offenses are very serious, amounting to steep fines and lengthy periods of incarceration. If arrested for a drug charge, you need immediate help from the experienced attorneys at Peter & Lanzillo, PLLC.
Drug Classification And Charge Factors
Texas classifies most drugs into four penalty groups, with a separate category for marijuana. Each penalty group carries a different charge, with charges ranging from a Class C misdemeanor all the way up to a felony. The charges increase based on the type of drug, the amount, and any aggravating circumstances, such as possession of drugs within 1,000 feet of a school or day care center or use of a weapon.
Our firm routinely defends clients in state and federal courts for drug offenses involving:
- Possession: Owning an illegal substance.
- Manufacturing or cultivation: Creating or growing a controlled substance.
- Distribution: Transferring a controlled substance from one person to another.
- Conspiracy: Planning delivery or possession of a controlled substance with another person. You can face drug conspiracy charges even if your plans were never executed.
- Prescription drug crimes: Any of the above offenses involving prescription medications.
Severe Penalties Follow A Drug Conviction
Charges escalate on a sliding scale as the amount and overall harmfulness of the drug increase. If caught with large quantities of an illegal controlled substance, you face years in jail and thousands of dollars in fines.
To minimize your potential consequences, work with a skilled drug defense lawyer. To learn more about your options and how we can defend you against a drug offense charge, reach us by email or call us at 972-914-9601. From our offices in Plano we serve clients throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area.